Dear Yellowstone College Prep Family,
As we start our fifth week of online learning, we wanted to provide important updates about grading and enrollment. Please read through this update carefully and know that our staff will be ready to answer your questions this week during our weekly check-in with you.
Pizza Dinner for Your Family!
This week, we will be holding a Pizza Dinner raffle drawing for each grade level. All of the students who have completed their weekly work by 9:00 on Sunday night will be entered into the raffle, and we will pick one family from each grade level to win. The winning family will receive a pizza dinner delivered to their door the next week. Help your family win by ensuring your student gets through all of their assignments this week! Don’t just take your student’s word for it! Make sure to check your student’s work before they turn it in to make sure you can be entered in the drawing.
Enrollment for Next Year
If you have not done so already, we need you to confirm your enrollment for next year! With our new Principal, Mrs. Mesha White, we have many exciting plans for your student and family. You will learn more about our approach and expectations in the coming weeks—but we first need to know your intent to return.
Please email our Director of Campus Services, Mr. Damon Gunn, at email@example.com before the enrollment window closes! We look forward to serving your family again next year.
Calendar for Next School Year
Right before the pandemic began, the Board of Trustees approved our calendar for the 2020-21 school year. It is still our intention to begin the next school year on time and wanted to give you access to it now. Click here to download the calendar.
Third Quarter Report Cards
By the end of this week, we will be mailing your third quarter report cards (this was for the grading cycle that ended right before spring break). Thank you for your patience as we worked through the grade verification and gained access to the building for printing and mailing.
Grading for Fourth Quarter
We have finalized our plans for how we will handle fourth quarter grading through this period of distance learning. Please read carefully through our updated policy:
- In total, there will be 9 weeks of online instruction, starting from the week of March 30 through our final week of May 25th.
- For Math, Science, ELA, and Social Studies, we will be taking the top ten highest grades from google classroom for each of these subject areas. For your electives, we will be taking the top five highest grades.
- If the ten grades for that subject area average greater than a 60%, then your student will pass for the quarter. For students who do not complete any of the assignments or have an aveage below a 60%, they will receive a failing grade for the quarter.
- All previous lessons will be available through May 8th. After that point, we will only have lessons posted for the final weeks of the school year.
- We will be establishing a grade placement committee that will take into consideration your student’s performance through the first three quarters and whether they pass/fail fourth quarter to determine if your student is promoted, placed or retained next year. As it states in our Family Handbook, these are the original requirements for promotion:
- Overall yearly average of 70 or above
- An average of 70 or above in three of the four core courses: Language Arts (average of reading and English), mathematics, science, and social studies.
- Minimum standard met on three of the four end of year assessments. (this will be waived since there are no end of year assessments)
- Sufficient attendance (the committee will review attendance up to spring break and use that as a determining factor for placement, if necessary)
- Based on this plan, any family who needs a chromebook to assist with completion can pick one up at the school by emailing our Director of Facilities and Technology, Jeremy Campbell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- At any time, you can also have access to your child’s grades through third quarter in our Skyward system.
- If you have any questions, we will be addressing them during our weekly calls this week, and you can also reach out to teachers during their office hours.
Thank you again for partnering with us as we continue to move through this time of distance learning. We hope that you are taking advantage of our food distribution program and communicating with our staff through this time. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to support you and your family. Talk with you soon,
The Yellowstone Team